Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Caramel Brownie Trifle


I can still remember when I was little and my mom used to make trifles--for everything. And they tasted amazing. Layers of Cool Whip, pudding, cake, Oreos, chocolate, fruit, and everything else you could imagine. Sooo, when I was put to the task of bringing a dessert to our neighbor's new years party, my mom suggested a trifle. I had some left over caramel in my fridge from all of my Christmas orders and I love chocolate with caramel, so I ended up making a brownie, Oreo, caramel, Cool Whip trifle. Try saying that 3 times fast.


Mmmm, brownies.






Use this as an opportunity to get your anger out....


I used homemade caramel but store bought is okay too.


If you want a lot of cool whip, buy one big tub and one small tub.


I love my new Vera Bradley oven mitt. My bestfriend gave it to me when she came from Texas. I kinda wanted to go back with her, not only so we could spend time together, but just so I could go to Texas.


Crumble 'em up into decent sized chunks. I would let them cool before doing this to avoid getting sticky hands.


one layer of brownie //


one layer of cool whip //


one layer of Oreos and caramel //


decorate //


I made little chocolate squigglies and stars since it was a new years party, but you can keep it plain.










Caramel Brownie Trifle

Ingredients:

1 box of brownie mix and ingredients needed to make it
3/4 cup caramel, homemade or store bought
1 package of Oreos
1 16 oz tub Cool Whip
chocolate chips, optional

Directions:

  1. Make the brownies in a 9 x 9 in pan. Let cool. Crumble on to a plate.
  2. In a plastic bag, crush the oreos with a rolling pin or the back of a spoon.
  3. Layer 1/3 of the brownies on the bottom of a trifle bowl. Spread 1/3 of the cool whip on top. Sprinkle on 1/3 of the Oreos and drizzle on some of the caramel. 
  4. Repeat until all of ingredients are gone, ending with the cool whip. Sprinkle with any extra crushed oreos and caramel. Melt chocolate chips and drizzle over the top, if desired.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sophia,
    Can you share your homemade caramel sauce recipe? I want to try this for Mikey's birthday. All my best, Emily Ferro

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use Mel's Divine Caramel Sauce {http://www.melskitchencafe.com/divine-caramel-sauce/} but I take out the vanilla and salt (you can keep it in). I don't know if you've made caramel before, but be very careful not to burn it! Once you see it darken, take it off right away and put it on a cool surface so it stops cooking.

      Delete

comments and questions welcome!