Sunday, September 15, 2013

Starbucks Remake #1: Petite Lavender Vanilla Bean Scones


Everybody knows how good Starbucks is. And if you don't, you haven't lived. Even though I despise any pastries or desserts that are premade, I do give in for this.

Every time I go there, I always eye a tiny treat sitting in the glass case. These tiny gems pack delicious flavor in a tiny package. Can you guess now? Yup, you got it; Vanilla Bean Scones.

I've always wanted to try my own, but I never actual knew where to access vanilla beans, accept to fly to Madagascar and take some from there. But since I can't fly on a plane by myself and the fact that that will never happen, I opted for plan B. I searched high and low for a place that sold vanilla beans for less than $6 a bean. After many phone calls and countless hours on Google, I found Beanilla. I ordered 20 beans for $17, and they arrived less than a week later.

When I opened the package, I couldn't believe how good they smelled, and I think that was what drew me to making my own Vanilla Bean Scones.

Sooo, this morning I gathered up the ingredients, turned on my oven, and got to work. I knew that I didn't want to put just vanilla bean in my scones, because I could just go to Starbucks and get the scones there, so I cut some fresh lavender from our garden and tried to find a way to incorporate it.

I ended up putting the lavender into the glaze and they came out pretty good if I do say some myself. Since I made so many, I decided to give some to my aunt for her birthday and ship some up to my cousin in college. They're perfect to eat with a nice cup of coffee or tea and take in the cool September breeze. Fall is just around the corner and that means a lot more Starbucks for me, yay!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------







Petite Lavender Vanilla Bean Scones
makes approx. 2 dozen scones
Ingredients:
Scones:
3 cups all-purpose flour
½ cups sugar
5 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
2 sticks unsalted butter, chilled
1 whole large egg
¾ cups heavy cream
2 whole vanilla beans
Glaze:
4 cups confectioners sugar
1 whole vanilla bean
1 teaspoon chopped lavender
1/3 cup milk

Directions
1.       Preheat oven to 350.
2.       Using a paring knife, split the vanilla beans down the center and scrape out the black stuff on the inside. Stir into milk and set aside for 15 minutes
3.       In a medium size bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
4.       Cut butter into into tablespoons, then using a pastry cutter, cut the butter into the flour mixture. Keep going until the mixture turns crumby.
5.       Mix in the vanilla and cream mixture and the egg using a fork. Stir until it comes together.
6.       Place dough on a lightly floured surface. Press together softly until it forms a dough ball. Roll out into a rectangle about ½ inch thick.
7.       Cut the rectangle into 12 small rectangles. Then slice each rectangle diagonally to into little triangles.
8.      Place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 20 minutes, or until edges turn golden brown
9.       While the scones are baking, make the glaze. Split the vanilla bean and scrape out the inside. Put into the milk and let sit for ten minutes. Then add to the confectioners sugar and stir until a thick glaze forms. Add more confectioners sugar if needed. Gently stir in the lavender.
10.   Remove scones from oven and let cool for 15 minutes. Move to a cooling rack.
11.    Once the scones have cooled, it’s time to ice them. Carefully dunk a scone into the glaze. Flip over and be sure to coat the entire scone. Let some of the excess glaze drip off, then transfer to a cooling rack.
12.    Let them set for about an hour so the icing can harden.




Let's roll





Before baking

After baking


Time for a dip!



Tea Time!



4 comments:

  1. They were better than Starbucks:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that looks like my kind of cookie! Do you ship to Italy?

    ReplyDelete

comments and questions welcome!