Sunday, July 20, 2014

The Best Crumb Cake you'll ever Make, and Eat!



My family and my obsession for this crumb cake started last year when I had to decide what to get my mom for her birthday. My mom isn't picky, so I knew I could get her almost anything and she would like it. So I planned on baking her something but I just wasn't sure what. So asked her, "what's you're favorite dessert; ever." And her answer surprised me but I was not gonna question it, because to be honest, I kinda wanted crumb cake with caramel too. But I knew I couldn't just make a boxed cake with store bought caramel, it had to be homemade and different.

And there I went, hunting down every pin for the ultimate crumb cake and the best (and easiest) homemade caramel recipe, that didn't involve melting prewrapped caramel candies that taste pretty disgusting. Finallyyyy, I found a crumb cake recipe, super crumb cake to be exact, from The Domestic Rebel. Just by looking at the pictures of the cake made me want to make it. And then came the best part. Heaven in one recipe. I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this caramel about a million times because it's that good. Did I mention it was my first time making it? Yah, I might have burnt the first batch. Whoops.

So here's how it went: The crumb cake came out so good. Most of it was the crumb (which was fine for me since that's my favorite part) and the small amount of cake was moist and didn't over power the crumb, but I mean, how could it? The only problem I had was that I couldn't get it out of the pan. Oh well. So I poured about a cup and a half of the caramel on top of the whole cake and let it sit over night. I can't tell you how much I wanted to eat that cake, I think I dreamed about devouring the whole thing. The next day, when I brought out the cake for my family,I had a hunch that they really wanted to dig right in, I mean I don't know why. We each got a pretty big piece of cake, but we all went back with our spoons to scoop out some more crumb and caramel from the pan. After that, I had some requests for the cake, and the caramel itself! You can buy a jar of caramel on my facebook page. Just message me and I should get back to you as soon as possible!

You're probably wondering why I decided to post this now, since this cake is what's been missing from your life. But I'm posting it now because I just recently made it for my great aunt's birthday, because I made it with her a few months ago. This time, I changed the cake to a lighter and fluffier sour cream cake that I created, and I changed the crumb up a bit so it would be more buttery. The new recipe is different from the original but it still has that buttery crumb on top. I definitely recommend trying this recipe, if you haven't gotten the hint already.
















The Best Ever Crumb Cake:
makes one 9x5" cake

Ingredients:

For the cake: 
1 stick butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup sour cream

For the crumb:
4 cups flour
2 cup brown sugar
4 tbs cinnamon
3 1/2 sticks butter, softened  

3/4 homemade or store bought caramel (I promise I won't judge if you buy your caramel)

Directions:

For the cake:
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Cream the butter and the sugar until smooth 
3. Beat in eggs one at a time, then beat in the vanilla
4. Mix in the flour and baking soda
5. Fold in the sour cream until everything is smooth

For the crumb:
With an electric beater or preferably a stand mixer, cream all the ingredients until it turns to crumbs. 

Butter and flour a 9x5" pan, and fill it with the cake batter. Crumble the crumb mixture on top so it's evenly spread. Bake in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool for 30 minutes to an hour. After it's been cooled, remove from pan and pour over about 3/4 cup caramel on top before cutting. 


I know I promised whoopie pies, and I will post them soon! If you have any other requests for any recipe ideas, please comment below or tell me on facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment

comments and questions welcome!