Saturday, September 7, 2013

Pretty in Pink

My best friend Megan is becoming a big sister again! Her mom is pregnant with a little girl, and is due next month. So my Mom and two of her friends decided to throw a baby shower for her, and I was put in charge of the cake.

I had many ideas for the cake. But, of course, I didn't want something simple. I have a tendency, according to my mom at least, to make a project out of everything. Yes, everything. But that's not always a good thing, especially for this job.

My final decision was a square cake covered in pastel fondant with little fondant baby blocks spelling out "it's a girl." So on Friday I baked 6 pink velvet cakes. They all came out really well! Today I made the buttercream, a recipe that will forever be my favorite.Its from The Cupcake Diaries which is book written by the Sisters of Georgetown cupcakes. I stacked 4 cakes on top of each other, iced it, and covered it in pink fondant.




And after that it all went d
                                                                                                      o
                                                                                                        w
                                                                                                           n
                                                                                                              h
                                                                                                                  i
                                                                                                                     l
                                                                                                                        l.

Just kidding. But my plans for my cake had to be scratched. The blocks weren't coming together right and I was getting frustrated. So, I threw out the blocks, the fondant scraps, and put my idea in the drain. My new plan was to make the entire cake to look like a baby block and place a rubber ducky on top. 

My mom helped me (because by now I had put at least 4 hours into this cake) add strips of fondant and some letters and numbers. I then sculpted an adorable rubber ducky with bubbles on it, put it on top of the cake and called it a day. 

It came out really cute! I'm glad the blocks didn't come out well because it opened up a new cake design, which was probably better! As my mom always says, "Everything happens for a reason." 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------








Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
From The Cupcake Diaries
Frosts 12 cupcakes

Ingredients:
16 tablespoons of butter, at room temperature
4 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon whole milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt

Directions:
Combine the ingredients in a mixer and whip together on high speed until light and airy, approximately 3 to 5 minutes. Load frosting into a piping bag fitted with a large round tip and frost each cupcake with a signature swirl.


 

                                        

                                  


1 comment:

comments and questions welcome!